I completed the 7 week Living Smart SA Course run by the Onkaparinga Council. There are also Living Smart SA courses in Glenelg and Unley. It’s a successful idea which has come from Western Australia and I can see why. I was lucky enough to be at the McLaren Vale and Fleurieu Information centre as the venue and our field trip was to the Aldinga Arts Eco Village which was really inspiring. I especially valued the discussions. The group was made up of people of different ages but the life experience in the room was such that it created a very dynamic atmosphere for discussion and growth. The course offers a lot of freebies so you know your local area better, can engage better with key providers and have little things like a shower timer and thermometer to help you on your way. Apart from all the thinking I have done around the course I have now:
1. Improved my veggie patch a lot
2. Have two things to work on with regard to energy use and one thing to investigate
3. Am recycling much better and have included red cycling and battery recycling properly
4. Have far less throw away waste
5. Am now very clear in the decisions about my home and my life with regard to sustainability
It was a course which was enjoyable to participate in and has had a positive impact on me and my life. Sometimes you just need to take up the opportunities. The energy audit of my home took me 15 minutes and has had a good outcome. These sorts of practical ideas have helped me to be more positive when it comes to sustainability.